MINCED BEEF AND BEAN BAKE
Takes 10mins to prepare, 25mins in total to cook!
This is definately a frugal recipe but still tasty and great for anyone on a tight budget.
Midweek meal, quick, cheap, substantial, easy, shall I go on?
Ok, when you have been working all day most people don't want to be stuck in the kitchen preparing meals, so this is a nice easy recipe just for you.
Let's face it, although frozen food is convenient it is expensive.
So, why not try this recipe, it doesn't take long to cook or cost the earth but it is a good 'tummy filler'.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
1 lb minced ( ground ) beef
1 onion finely chopped
1 beef stock cube/granules
half can baked beans
3 tbs water or tomato juice
salt and pepper
1 lb potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
a little grated cheese
1. Place the beef and onion into a 3pint casserole dish (medium sized one).
2. Stir well and microwave uncovered on full for 3 mins.
3. Stir and drain off excess fat. Add the crumbled stock cube or gravy granules, beans and water or tomato juice.
4. Stir and season with salt and pepper.
Arrange potato slices over the surface to cover all of the mince.
5. Cover with a lid and microwave on power 7 ie between full and medium for 20 minutes.
6. Sprinkle the cheese on top and return to the microwave for 2 mins of full power then place under the grill to brown.
Now I have tried this recipe in different microwaves (650watt/800watt) and it still seems to take the same length of time to cook.
If you are not sure, just place the tip of a sharp knife through the potatoes, it should glide through.
I sometimes add a couple of squirts of tomato ketchup to thicken and give an extra richness to it.
This is a great comfort food with not too many calories so go on, give it a try.